Foetus at 16 weeks
It’s been a busy week this week, so I’ve found myself very tired again for much of the time and, as a result, rather irritable (so I apologise if anyone has borne the brunt of my unwarranted wrath over the last few days – I assure you, I didn’t mean it – I’m just completely knackered!). I’ve continued to feel the “muscle spasms” but now they’re accompanied by something of a “sloshy” feeling. The only way I can think of to describe it is when you’re in the bath and you move around, the water sloshes around and rebounds off the sides of the tub – it feels a bit like that but inside. A couple of days ago, Tadpole was being particularly active and it felt like I had an Olympic swimmer practicing the butterfly, so perhaps our little Tad will be a sporty kid!
I also had my 16-week blood work done which was a bit of an ordeal for me, as I’m terrified of needles, so I took Dale with me for moral support. On this occasion I didn’t pass out (although I came perilously close to it and almost broke Dale’s fingers by gripping them tightly all the way through), but I felt very light-headed for some time afterwards and, despite the fact that for the first time ever I have no bruising at all (well done, Jan!), my arm felt stiff and half-dead for the rest of the day, right through to when I went to bed. And she didn’t just take one vial of blood – she filled FOUR of those bad boys! It’s strange – I’m absolutely fine with other people’s blood, but when it comes to my own getting forcibly taken from my body, I turn into a big woos. I’m not so bad at getting injections – I can just about cope with those – but getting blood taken out has me feeling panicky and sick. I’d love to be a blood donor, but sadly, I just don’t see that ever happening.
Some interesting facts about being 16 weeks pregnant:
- Tadpole has done another inch of growing, taking the crown-to-rump length to 5 inches (that’s a lot of growing in one week!).
- Tadpole now weighs approximately 4oz (so why have I put on 6lbs? LOL!).
- Over the next three weeks, Tadpole will have something of a growth spurt, doubling in weight and adding inches to length (no wonder I’m getting “growing pains” in my belly!).
Things that have happened this week:
- We heard Tadpole’s heartbeat for the first time at my antenatal appointment on Thursday. It was wonderful!
- My hips and knees hurt if I’m on my feet for long periods of time, due to the loosening of ligaments, and I sometimes get an achy feeling in my lower belly where Tadpole currently resides – I guess the kid is really starting to stretch me a bit!
- I now get asked about when I’m due because, yes, you’ve guessed it, I’m finally starting to look PREGNANT rather than just FAT (although I still feel that I look a bit of a hog to tell the truth – I can’t wait for my “bump” to round out a bit more so there’ll be no mistaking it!).
- I’m getting a lot of compliments and people say I’m “blooming” which is lovely – a positive point is that the breakouts I got earlier on ar now starting to properly clear up, my nails are now gorgeous and strong, and my hair is getting so thick and bushy that I’m going to have to book another haircut ahead of schedule.
- My Mam and Step-Dad are visiting this weekend and they’re very generously buying us a cot-bed, so we’ve been looking at various lovely options and have decided on one from Mothercare. My Grom is also sending money which will be put towards a “travel system” (buggy/pram, car seat and carrier), so we’ve looked at those too.
A bit of a hectic weekend now – with The Olds up visiting, there’s always a lot of activity. We were out at the pub last night (don’t worry – I stuck to soft drinks) and by the time we left shortly after 10pm, I was absolutely exhausted – It had been a very long day. Today will also be very busy with shopping and just generally spending time with The Olds, then out to dinner tonight, so I’ll probably be falling asleep by the time we get to the dessert course! I’ll be spending tomorrow afternoon (after they’ve gone) and all of Monday (which I have off work) recovering from the weekend!